Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Two I've work on. The first was a high school project, Herters French Walnut stock, McGowen barrel.

Second has the original 1942 Springfield barrel in a Fajen stock. That barrel is pristine thru the Hawkeye, obviously not shot much.

Both have Timeny triggers, both are high number '03's.

DF

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Roy Weatherby never had anything on Herter's for la de da stocks. I have a M95 7x57 in a Herter custom and the first sporterized 03 I ever bought for $75 had a Herter stock on it. It was left really oversized and proud wood to metal fit, I removed the black forend cap and spacer as well as the grip cap and replaced them with ebony. The barrel was a goner and replaced it with a 2 groove that was in nice condition. It's got a Williams bolt handle and DTraister LS safety as well as a Timney trigger. Had the whole thing reblued nicely. All ways wanted a nice custom Springfield 03 30-06. Don't have that much in it and it will be one of the very last last rifles I ever part with. The Fajen stock rings a bell too. They sold semi in letted like that back in the 60's for about $30-40 bucks. I could hardly wait back then to get my EC Bishop and Reinhart Fajen catalogs. If a guy wants a military rifle customized for hunting this the way to do it, find one that is all ready started that can't be reversed and just change it to what you want. You will never get your money back out of it. Military rifle values today are in for all original dress not some bubba'ed sporterizing. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "