If you put a 94 Winchester with a 20-inch barrel and a 99 Savage with a 20-inch barrel side by site the Savage is the longer package of the two. That, coupled with the cock on closing action just makes the "Trapper" 99 a little more awkward. My old man was a mechanic (starting on bombers in the 8th Air Force and progressing through International Trucks and John Deere tractors) who taught me the subtle yet major differences in tool design. There's a reason why Snap On and Mac are the "go to" mechanics tools. Their designs are simply refined better for getting things done that say Craftsman tools (which, if they are still in business, are a hell of a deal for the garage mechanic). Same thing with Marshalltown for masons. Try using a crappy ill-balanced trowel all day long and then telling me it isn't a wrist breaker. I like the 99 but I don't find it the top choice for a compact lever action carbine - which isn't saying it (obviously) can't be done.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"