Yes it is hard to hit them as the entire covey rises at once. It adds to the confusion with the cover and trees. They tend to go through any trees or run around the tree and fly from offside and usually go upslope. Some planning can put you in position to intersect them as they fly upslope. Many a time had to shoot through branches which often gets you a bird. Then if you want that limit you have to follow the birds upslope.

It is a special moment when you can get a double. With an autoloader you can sometimes get 3 on the rise. Then get ready for a late flyer or two. I have chased a covey upslope then returned to the original place where they flushed to have one fly up.

Mearns hunting is best done alone and with one dog if possible. Then you can swing in any direction. I either let someone else make the approach or two of us will go to the pointing dog side by side KNOWING where all dogs are located.

Isn't it fun to watch the dog follow a scent trail, then loose it and circle till it is found again? I agree it is worth the hike to see the dogs work, even if you don't get a bird.