Originally Posted by Fireball2
I weighed all of them. Quite an eye opener.

Old Winchester was by far the most consistent with 90% falling within 4 grains of each other. Remington marked R-P had two distinct batches one heavy, one light, with brass tapering off on either side for several grains. REM-UMC was terrible, all over the map, over 20 grains variation in weight, seemingly no quality control. Peters nothing special there. Federal two distinct batches, one heavy one light, 10 grains apart. The new Federal is 10-15 grains heavier than anything else, also very consistent, but way heavier. Old Savage marked brass was featherweight, nearly 30 grains lighter than the new Federal brass.

If I was just starting out I'd buy new Federal brass. It weighs almost 170 grains on average vs 155 avg for the others, so work up loads from below very important. .

Wow.. that's a lot of difference. Makes it clear why reloading manuals always stress to retest your loads when changing ANY component. Even if they have the same internal capacities, a thicker wall will make a difference on pressures when firing.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com