Originally Posted by keystoneben
Little bit of exception around here. My father didn't grow up on a farm or didn't have any family that knew anything about ag. When he got married in the early eighties, my mother and him bought a small farm, where an old fella milked a half dozen cows. He bought a cow and a calf, and farmed whenever he could. He was always doing more,trying make more money with the farm. He started renting ag abaggers for storing silage to local farmers and that grew into a twine wrap supply business. Eventually adding cattle handling equipment, wagons, corn seed, etc.

Growing up we always helped on the farm, but it wasn't ever big enough to be the main source of income for anyone. So my parents wanted us to focus another career But as he grew our farm and our business, it made enough room for my brother and i. About five years ago my brother and I took a big step and bought a 200 acres of farm ground 5 Miles from my parents. We still rent the majority of our ground, but the land owners have been pretty good, and we've been with some for over 20 years. We focus on growing our feedlot and or cow herd. We try and make an extra buck wherever we can, selling hay, hauling cattle, little ag related excavation projects, etc our place may not be the greatest, but the three of us are getting by.

You are a smart and enterprising guy, Ben!

Keep up the good work!

As long as you enjoy that, you are ahead of the game.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!