I have 10 points in WY and looking for some advice. Not on secret spots or honey holes so bear with me.

I have literally made 100's of calls and texts and emails over the last 2-3 weeks. I have spoken with friends, friends of friends, game wardens, outfitters, ranchers, etc. I feel like I've been given some pretty good and specific info about Unit 7. I have secured some private access but it's a small parcel. However, it makes it much easier to get into some decent sized public areas. I have also spoken with Jake at BHL who is an outfitter in Unit 7 that has been extremely helpful and I will likely pay him for some additional scouting info or possibly just go guided with him. He has gone out of his way to help me. I feel decent about the info I have been given from friends and I think I can have a pretty good hunt there and be into bulls. Up to me to get it done and "that's why they call it hunting". I like the idea of a more DIY type hunt. I can't call it a true DIY since I've gotten a lot of info and help from others but more DIY than a guided hunt for sure. My plan was to get out in August and scout for a week or so mostly to just learn the lay of the land and figure out access and camping and glassing spots and things like that. I will then go back and hunt 7-10 days during archery and Ican go back in Oct or Nov if I haven't filled my tag. I'm thinking that I should expect a 300-325" class bull on this hunt with possibility up to 350". Does that sound about right?

My other option is that I have spoken with Josh Martoglio and Tre Heiner and I feel very good about the hunt they offer. I have spoken to lots of outfitters but those guys come with personal recs from friends and I really like what they bring to the table. I think they are more likely to be able to put me on a 320-340" bull with a chance at bigger. The chance at a bigger bull like 350" plus is likely better with either of those guys. Their hunts are expensive but I have a plan for being able to sell some items and pick up some overtime at work and I can probably make it happen. This hunt would be 7 days and likely 9-10 total days gone from home/work so that's better.

With 10 points and the ability to draw either type hunt, what would you do? Am I maximizing my points better with the guided hunts in Park county or will I likely have a quality hunt and more satisfaction with a Unit 7 unguided hunt? Mainly just thinking about the quality of bulls and whether it would be better to hunt Park county?

Thanks again guys.

Lee

Last edited by Ebby; 01/13/19.