Originally Posted by T_O_M
Mileage ... I'm running 265-75R16 Toyo Open Country MTs on my 2014 crew cab TRD offroad w/ 6 speed manual. I've gotten near 17 mpg but not hit it for any extended time. The last 1000 mile interval I checked I only got 14.5. That sucks.

Brakes ... the reason I like rear disks is drums generally brake harder going forward than they do going backwards but disks brake the same going either direction. This can be a big deal if you have to back down a muddy hill you didn't quite get to the top of. Coming down with drums, you have only a small fraction of the stopping power, so all of your steering and most of your braking are on the front tires. This can be enough to break them loose and start an uncontrolled slide where rear disks would have taken up some of the braking load and allowed you to steer instead of slide.

Tom

I'm not sure how a drum can brake harder in one direction than the other. They use a dual piston cylinder to push out two brake shoes against the inside diameter of the drum. They might not brake as well, but I don't see how they are better in one direction than the other. I also don't buy the "breaking loose" bit at all. Rear drums will lock up a wheel fine. They might slide after locking. Have you actually had this happen and are 100% sure it wasn't just the tires sliding?

Not trying to start a fight, I'm genuinely interested as my experience with drums is different.

Well, we don't rent pigs, and it's better to say it right up front because a man who does like to rent pigs is — well, he's hard to stop.