Originally Posted by saddlesore
Take some Bore Butter and lube a maxi ball with it then let it set a year like you would rifle fro m season to season. You will see it is dried out and flake off.

Seasoning , at least to me, is like when you season a cast iron skillet. You fill up the porous holes of the cast iron and build up a layer of burned on oil. Your muzzle loader is cleaned up to bare metal.

This is why the instructions say not to use oil as a lubricant with black powder. It will turn the oil into carbon coating that is hard to get off. Which is why you use std gun solvents when using BH209. Bore Butter is fine for short term,but I sure don't use it for long term
My Hawken only gets used just before and during muzzleloader season each December. The rest of the year it hangs above the picture window in my living room. It never gets touched in between. Each year I take it out just before MZ season to shoot a few balls for zero check. When I pick it up you can easily see and feel the tacky wax film on the barrel from the Bore Butter that was applied at the end of last season. I have a few of those old dried out Maxi Balls. It took many years for them to get that way.