a decade or so ago, i was ate up with the thought of killing an elk. i hunted co and nm archery seasons for four years and british columbia once. never killed a bull. about that time, i bought my first wy pref point. my passion also shifted. i got ate up with bird dogs, got in on an OK quail lease, and my string of bird dogs grew... kinda forgot about elk for a while...

i still spend most of my time afield following pointers, but i also have 11 wy elk points that i need to do something with. the approaching deadline got me thinking about the process. i'm in a position, that i could now go during any of the coming nov/dec's. i'm planning to start applying in 2020. i will have 12 points. i'm a MI resident. i know i want to do the late season rifle hunt.

does it make more sense to pick the outfitter first or the unit? i'm thinking outfitter... how do outfitters book hunters before they know if the hunter will successfully draw a tag? if their clients don't draw, are there reputable outfitters looking for hunters after the draw? which begs the question, does it ever make sense to put in for a desirable unit, even if you don't have an outfitter lined up?

i'm kinda coming at this from a strange place... i'm sure most with 12 points have spent the entire 12 years planning the hunt. i'm just getting up to speed. thanks in advance for the patience.

"It has been my experience that those who shoot most often, most often shoot well." T. Roosevelt