Thank you all for responding. I learned quite a bit.

Originally Posted by gunner500
Not a 375, but that firedot VXR 3-9x40 30mm is a sweet scope, I just put one on a custom 385 Norma on Warne steel bases and Burris rings, really nice.

You voted with your money for 3-9x, looks like.

.358 Norma is nothing to sneeze at.

My .375H&H+VR1.25-5x currently uses Leupold rings. For this go 'round I will upgrade to Warne rings for it and also use some Warne tactical QR ring/mount deal.

Originally Posted by okie john

I have one of these on a 30-06. It's Leupold VX-R 3-9x40 with Ballistic Firedot reticle (Item #111236). I think it's one of the most practical pieces of glass I've ever used, and it ticks all of the boxes that the OP laid out.

Things to Know

This scope has a good general purpose reticle, but it takes some figuring out and the right zero. Most experienced shooters would choose something more versatile for routine use in very open country or anywhere that the wind is a problem.

[LOTS OF GOOD DATA]

All in all, it’s a useful piece of gear for the conditions you described. Once I got it zeroed and figured out how to use the reticle, it was easy to ring 8" steel at 425 yards with it.

Let me know if you have questions.

Okie John

Another 3-9x.

Currently my Rem 700 .30-06 is toting one of the 2-7x Leupold VX-2s. I prefer to shoot 180gr out of it, usually just a cup & core pill.

I really ought to either work up a load or choose one of the 250-270gr commercial loads--likely one of the mono-metal pills like GMX or some such) and stick with so I can work up a similar table for my .375H&H.

Originally Posted by guyandarifle
You state that 4x has met your magnification needs to this point but, even if only for poops and giggles at some point down the road, the .375 is capable of making real use of 7 or 9x.

Indeed.

Originally Posted by patberg
I like the 2-7 for just about anything except prairie dogs.

A vote for 2-7x

I bought the first Leuold 2-7x for my wife's (now son's) .243Win in a Ruger Compact American Rifle. 3-9x looked awkward and my wife is weigh-sensitive in her rifles and shotguns. A Boyd's stock that I bedded myself cured the greatest issue with that gun. (The flimsy stock would flex and send flyers. I now can't find a premium commercial load that does not shoot well.) My son can manage the additional weight the Boyd's stock brings to the table.

Originally Posted by JCS271
2-7 is just about ideal. Great field of view on the low end and plenty of magnification for a little bit longer shot.

2-7x

Originally Posted by butchlambert1
I sure like my 1.25X4 VX-R

Yep, I got no complaints. Just looking for something that can take more advantage of my rifle's demonstrated caapbility and my daughter's & wife's 6.5Grendel potential capability, if I decide to ever mount it on that.

Originally Posted by ZeauRay
I have the 2-7VX-R with the (German #4dot) mounted on a Winchester 70 Alaskan .375 and it's is the best field scope I've ever used .

I too have astigmatic eyes for 50 years but with the single adjustable red dot, with the heavy #4 reticle to prevent canting, 150 yard clay pigeons are easy consistent hits every time.

The slimness of the 2-7 matches well with the big CZ550 action. I like balance especially on a big bore rifle.
Just checked my CZ 500 Jeffery and ring spacing should work with maybe aftermarket rings, not sure about factory rings

No scope planned for that rifle but maybe a Trijicon RMR soon.

2-7x vote.

Astigmatism & near-sighted here.

I have as a back up one of those NEF aperture sights that mount directly to the rear CZ dovetail. Nice bit of kit. the first sight I used to shoot the rifle with and zeroed at 100 yards with 270gr softs. Trijicon is top quality, from my experience, back when the taxpayers paid for all my gear.

I am currently using Leupold rings for the CZ500, but think I will use the Warne rings this next time.

=================================

A lot of food for thought. Probably leaning 2-7x, but if I can find a good deal on a 3-9x I might not be able to resist. One thing that weighs against the 2-7x is that all the rings I look up seem built to accommodate a 3-9x40mm objective, as far as ring-height goes. Thw 33mm obj on the 2-7 does not need quite that much clearance.

In any case, I think I have the blessings of two good options.

Regards,

deadlift_dude
“The very first essential for success is a perpetually constant and regular employment of violence.”
----Fred Rogers