I am never sure whether to bother packing a bulky mid-layer on backpack hunts. My normal set-up is merino base (top and bottom), shell (top and bottom), warm down puffy and Primaloft pants for sits in the cold. I find that when hiking during the day (30s through 50s on most trips) I get overheated with the shell on. Without a mid-layer I sometimes get chilly in just my base layer. I can get by on shorter sits in most temps with a base, (fleece or merino 1/4 zip), and shell. I also prefer to sleep in the mid-layer (night time lows normally in the 20s).
The problem is that these mid-layers are bulky and take up more space in my pack than I would like. To make matters worse, they are not that warm for their bulk.

I am thinking about trying a really light mid or scrapping it altogether. Do you guys use one?

I have also been considering replacing the fleece mid with a down vest. I have never tried a vest but it would probably pack smaller with more warmth. Anyone have experience using a down vest? Thoughts?