With winter upon us I thought I'd share my Montana hunt from this past fall. This was solo as my my normal partner, my son, wasn't able to join me. I've hunted elk four seasons and harvested two cows previously. Day before opener I hiked in 5 hours checking sign and looking for changes from my earlier scouting trip.
[Linked Image]
Late afternoon found me set up on a ridge eating a peanut butter and bacon sandwich. Glassed at dusk and spotted a very nice bull with two satellites and 23 cows and calves about half way between me and the trail head. Up at 4am, I broke camp and snuck near to the meadow they were on at dark, but was really disappointed when another hunting group walked into the meadow just before day break. At first light I worked my way around the meadow and slow hunted through broken timber.
[Linked Image]
About noon I was filling my water bottle at a stream crossing and this guy appeared.
[Linked Image]
165 grain Nosler partitions pushed by 58 grains of H4350 in my 30-06 did him in. He expired in a bowl full of small trees, brush and tall grass. Hung the quarters spread out on the top of a ridge about 100 yds from the kill site so I could have a decent view in the morning as there was fresh bear sign in the area. Also stuck a large branch through the rig cage with a flag. Scouted a path back to the main trail and spent the night in the back of the Tahoe at the trail head. Up at 6am it took 12 solid hours for me to make four trips, 1.75 miles from the kill to the trail head.
[Linked Image]
Mystery Ranch Cabinet handled the 55# quarters very well. I use a dry bag on this pack which provides room for 3 days of food and my gear. Crossing a creek and a steep elevation drop of 350 feet added to the interest. At 58 these solo hunts can make me feel the years. Thankfully the last mile was on a horse trail but I was totally beat when I got out with the last load. Already planning for this fall like most of you.