Originally Posted by Quak

Great to know about your Savage barrels not fouling and cleaning up easy. Id be willing to bet its because they are button riffled and any manufacturing marks left are in the same direction as the bullet traveling down the bore. It would make sense that after they settled in a little they would smooth out nicely. IIRC Remington used to use button rifled barrels but switched to hammer forging sometime in the late 80s or early 90s or so I've been told. Ive had it both way with 700 barrels. Some seemed to never foul and were finished pretty well and some were absolute copper magnets that required a lot of work and/or polishing and were as rough as a corn cob. Ive got 2 newer ones in 270 that have 5R rifling which are supposed to be easier to clean. They are the best finished Remington barrels I've ever owned and they do clean remarkably easy. My guess is that its due to newer tooling as they haven't been making 270 5r barrels for very long. They both shoot very well...averaging 3 shot groups under an inch with their preferred hand loads but they defiantly don't shoot as well as your rifles above.

That's a bad bet. Button rifling unfortunately does not have that characteristic.