On the same subject but not about optics...I just took a look at a little-used and pampered S&W Airweight my SIL has, and noticed it has some defect in the frame metal. I looked up the warranty prior to packing it up to send back to them, and found this:

Smith & Wesson’s Lifetime Service Policy begins after the (1 year) warranty period has expired. Smith & Wesson will repair, without charge, for the lifetime of the original owner, any Smith & Wesson handgun purchased on or after February 1, 1989, and any M&P15 series rifle, that is found to have a defect in material or workmanship. Eligibility for this Lifetime Service Policy requires returning the Product Registration Card within 30 days of purchase.

Smith & Wesson covers the "original owner" only, and even then only if you thought to return the registration card! I'll bet there is nowhere in the owner's manual issued with each S&W product that the Lifetime Service Policy is void if you don't return the card!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke