I had a M29-2 6 1/2" I bought in 1978 lasted a year and a half before the barrel needed replacing and the firing pin. 10.0grains of Unique and a 225 gr RCBS semi wadcutter mold with gas check. The barrel face burned out and it was spitting burning powder bad. Smith replaced the barrel and pitted fire pin. Took about 11,000 rds as I recall, summer of 79 I competed at the Second Chance National street Combat match (bowling pins). Most guys used semi autos but that big Smith and I were good friends. Bought a 8 3/8" M629 in January of 81, second year of production,it's never been the gun that old M29 was. Over the years selling that M29 has been 1 of my greatest regrets. 5-6 years back I picked up a blued M29-3 6" it's okay but it ain't the gun the 29-2 was either. Now days I use a 250 gr Keith SWC 429421 and 9 gr of Unique or big dose of 2400. Some will argue the point but I feel if you want to shoot full throttle jacketed bullet loads go buy a Redhawk because they are heavier made for that, those loads will beat a SW to death and you won't be happy about it. I've had to learn more than a few things in life the hard way, but I never had to learn any of them twice. Magnum Bob

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "