I finish all my barrels by hand. I chamber in a lathe then screw my action on and use my reamer with extended T handle then turn a couple and pull out and clean blow out chamber and check head space. I coat my reamer with dark sulfur and lard thread cutting oil. Go slow and check often. You will get a feel when you get close the bolt will start break over then it is one turn at a time.
On Savage barrels I chamber on a lathe then finish with the T handle until I have .125 of the go gauge sticking out. Then screw the barrel nut on then screw the barrel on the action with the go gauge in the chamber and bolt in the action until bolt comes against gauge. Now I just snug the barrel nut. Remove bolt and go gauge the run the bolt back in and make sure it closes without interference. That way I know I have enough clearance between the bolt and the barrel end. Then put the gauge back in close the bolt and make sure the bolt is snug against the gauge then I loosen it just a tiny bit and I mean only maybe a thousandth. Then tighten the barrel nut and check it with a no go gauge. It shouldn’t even attemp to close. I use my gauges mics and calipers and I believe them. But I do a lot by feel. I want to feel the bolt face just kiss against the cartridge on closing.

Last edited by wtroger; 02/12/19.