Pulled the trigger awhile back and bought the largest mass produced modern style snowshoe that I could discover: GV Wide Trail 12x42.

For traveling deep powder something like 14x60 traditional would be better. For my use accessing calling stands through the down timber and brush transition edges of logging roads, these 12x42's seem more versatile, rotating claws on strong metal and synthetic.

Had my first chance to try them this past week and really like them in my initial experience. The width is no problem and they get around in brush well. They stay on top of soft snow much better than my previous snowshoes which have run in the 30-34 inch long and 9-11 inch wide range.

I wish these 12x42 were 48 inches long for even better floatation in powder. I HATE floundering in deep soft snow and even worse is post-holing while wearing snowshoes. Been there. Hence the big snowshoes.

Got a kick out of our neighbor walking her dog while wearing cute little REI designer snowshoes that sank to the ground every step. I didn't let anybody see me in my uncool big workhorse snowshoes.