On a dare I blued an entire gun with Oxpho Blue. I polished to 400x like I always do, degreased with acetone, heated the thing with a heat gun, and swabbed on the OB. Burnished with 0000 oil-free steel wool and re-heated between coats, 4 or 5 applications, then rubbed out with Breakfree (it was handy). That little Winchester M67 turned out pretty decent. The kid I gave it to has used it hard and it's holding up pretty well.

That's not to say I recommend the practice. After the success with the .22, against my better judgement I did the bottom metal on one of my Mausers. After filing/sculpting the trigger guard and draw filing the nicks out of the floor plate, I took it all to 400x. Oxpho Blue was then applied per the protocol outlined above. Again, it turned out very pretty. I thought I was on to something but after a couple seasons of use (my rifles stay in my hands, slings in the backpack/game pouch) and a lot of carrying, it started losing its finish on the edges. I came to the conclusion it's not as durable as I had thought. I since rust blued it and all is right with the world again.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 02/15/19.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty