I've found that 30-30 shooters don't always take as good a care in producing reloads as the should and factory ammo can be quite variable...NO DISS INTENDED.

My Marlin 30-30, now a 356 Win, would shoot great groups but ONLY with "pointy" bullets when the COAL was adjusted to just touch the lands...I usually shot 125 -180 gr Hornady SP's or V max's...one up the pipe and one in the mag...I couldn't see hauling around a rifle weighted down with a bunch of rounds in the mag and if I couldn't kill with two shots I needed more practice NOT more ammo.

I also followed the same procedures with my "cheapa**.." thuty-thuty as I did with my benchrest fodder. Scoped, off the bags and taking care with my trigger work I could shoot groups ever bit a small as my several 30 cals(or many other caliber rifles) out to MY max target range of ≈150-175 yds for the 30-30.

Basically...use the ammo that shoots the BEST in YOUR rifle and forget the rest...your aim is to collect the "bacon"..who cares WHAT the bullet weighs, certainly not your (hopeful) steak BBQ.

Good Luck.