I've been using the old front dove tail with rear windage screws for nearly 40 years. My secret, I use Medium Strength Loctite(I think it's blue or purple, I'm kinda color blind) on the rear windage screws. Here's how I do that. I run the windage turret adjustment until I hit the end. Then counting the clicks (Yeah, this is the tedious part). Then I run in it back to half the total clicks. I put em on without Loctite and bore sight the rifle as close as I can get using the windage screws. Then take it to the range and shoot it in. I use the windage screws to get the rifle on with an equal amount of clicks left on both sides of zero. Then I take the rifle home, and take one screw out and put Loctite on it and run it back in and tighten it to the same torque as before I took the screw out. Then take the other screw out and repeat. Then I take it back to the range and shoot it to see if this got it out of adjustment. If so I use the turret adjustment and make adjustments to get it on and don't touch the windage screws on the mount.

The screws don't move or I haven't had them move. No horror story. Try it you might like it.

Yeah, I too like the DDs but like was said they don't make 'em for every rifle. I have 5 Mausers and I use this method and never had a screw move. And to be fair I only started using the Loctite a few years back only because I heard some of these horror stories on another forum. However before I used Loctite on the windage screws I never had a problem with them. So just to be safe I use the Loctite, the same grade Loctite I put on the other mounting screws. So if you want some class hardware or they don't make the double d's for your rifle, you might try this method.

Last edited by Filaman; 02/20/19.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!