I like the build of the American labs. I am on my third one. Two of them were from very successful field trial blood lines. The reason I went this route is because I wanted one with speed for upland hunting. Light and lean works best when covering ground in the fall. They have a lot of drive, one has a better off switch than the other. My youngest is turning 1 year old this weekend and his DNA is really waking up... he was a bit slow to reach most of the landmarks a guy would train for. Not slow or lazy, just comes around a little later than others I have had or been around. They really have drive and can retrieve all day. They do great in the water as well.

I would agree with some of the posters above as well... I think these field trial blood lines are a bit harder to train. it is their hard headedness and determination. Its a benefit for the dog when hunting to have that stubbornness to not quit and the persistence to fight through challenges, but be prepared for it when it comes to training. It requires a lot of repetition in a lot of scenerios. Not necessarily harder, but different. The dogs really want to please.

Last edited by Oakster; 02/21/19.