Originally Posted by helidriver72
I'm really wanting to do some predator calling with a vintage lever rifle with a peep sight. So far it looks like my options are a Winchester 1892 or model 65 in .218 Bee or 25-20. Also Marlin chambered .218 Bee as well I think?

There's vintage and there's vintage.

Not too many years ago, Marlin offered 1894s in .218 bee, .25-20, .32 H&R Mag, and I think .32-20. .357, in current production, wouldn't be a bad choice. Henry offers a few lever actions in .327 Federal.

Older guns .. yeah, Winchester '92s and Browning reproduction '92s in .218 bee, .25-20, and .32-20.

A Winchester '94 in .25-35 would be a good choice. Truth is, a .30-30 is a good varmint cartridge as well.

I've spent quite a lot of time with the .25-20. My father has an old Winchester '92 and his grandfather had a Savage (23?) bolt action. I shot them a fair bit when I was in grade school. Dad doesn't take good care of his guns so the old '92 is in rough shape. The Savage is in my eldest cousin's hands. It's been well cared for. I hope to "liberate" it some time if only just to borrow it and do some load work. I've got a good stock of brass and bullets on hand. I killed 3 black bear with the Savage and one with the Winchester before I was 10. Think my cuz killed one with the Savage as well. Grandpa (great grandpa) would trap them and have us kids do the final execution.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...