Originally Posted by Yondering
Originally Posted by jmp300wsm
I use a propane torch in a dark room. When the case neck and shoulder just starts showing the faintest color I drop it in a pan and so on and so forth. I have used this method for years and thousands of rounds and it is fast and fairly clean. I have had a number of people say that it won't work but that has not been my experience at all. YMMV.

That is generally considered too hot by most qualified shooters these days. If you're doing it consistently though, that's more important IMO than the actual temp.

Until recently I was doing it in a brightly lit room, and watching the appearance of the case neck. When it changes to a waxy look, I'd drop them into a pan. That seemed to work well, and was much lower temp than faintly red in a dark room.

Recently though I started using salt bath annealing, using a small lead casting pot and a PID temp controller for salt temp. That method is very consistent, and is both easy to do, and faster than any other non-automated method I've used. The equipment will cost ~$60-$150 depending what you have already and how you set it up, but the results are very good.

Could you expand on this? Type of salt, supplier, technique, etc. Thanks.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB