Originally Posted by Filaman
That's a great combination. The .25-06 doesn't get the respect it deserves since everybody went stupid over 6.5s. The 6.5s are touted for their bullet selection. To me that is BS because not many people use their hunting rifle for serious target shooting AND hunting. It's the same argument the .270 haters use to knock it. But realistically a .25-06 AND a .270 are primarily traditional hunting rifles. There's plenty of bullets to cover that role. For a .270 Win. the 100 grain for varmints, the 130 for deer or hogs, and the 150 for deer, hogs, and elk or other large game. That about covers what it does real well. For the .25-06 the 87 grain has been a good varmint load and sometimes deer too. The 100 grain is good for large varmints and antelope and deer. The 110, 115, and 120 about covers anything else it's suitable to shoot which can include Antelope, deer, hogs and even elk. Neither the .270 or the .25-06 are known as a target rifles so no bullet manufacture ever made serious Hi BC Target loads for either of them. So what do you need more bullets for?

Ya, I've been real happy with this 25-06 700 CDL and the 6x Leupold. First buck with it was in 2005, and it's had a good track record ever since. Coyotes, antelope & mule deer. I just use the same load for all three, though over the years I have changed my load a couple of times. Closest mule deer was about 20 yards. Farthest was an honest 400 yards. That's enough for me.

I do have a near-twin to that rifle, in 30-06 that I prefer for bear & elk. It works just fine on antelope & mule deer too of course.

Hoping to get out for more backpacking this year. Neck issues sidelined me for a while re that stuff.

Regards, Guy