I traded my new 243 to my oldest son. He wanted something for Coyote. I said "Well I have an Ruger American in 243 Win that would work great for Coyote." Being Dad I tossed in a 3x9 Burris and 6 boxes of ammo. It is hard to go wrong with any solid 6mm design for things white tail deer size and smaller. The only way to get any better is to make it a semi-auto, pump or lever action. Most people do not shoot coyotes more than 300m and you normally want something light, compact that shoulders and swings well! Coyote's are normally running at a trot stop trot stop sniff pee trot....So you almost always have to lead them so the last thing you want is anything that recoils so bad that it hurts your sight picture between shots.

That said 223, 25-06, 6 Dasher, 7.62x39 and a good many other cartridges work great as well. I am not recoil sensitive but I do not like to use more gun than I need to if I have choices since recoil can take you off target it seems silly for instances to take a 30-06 for instance to shot a coyote or a badger for example unless you have no choice. The closer to the ground and the more things they can dart between the less I want any more recoil than is needed. I understand your first shot is your most accurate but I like to have a quick followup shot if I should need it.