Originally Posted by Shadow
I've used the follow rough rule of thumb when considering how much base cant to use on a rifle. Much of course depends on your rifle and load. It's silly to use a 40 MOA base on a rifle that's meant to shoot 200 yds or less, even if the scope has enough the elevation adjustment to use a canted base. At the same time it's also silly to have a rifle, cartridge and scope capable of shooting 1,000 yds. and choking it down with a base and scope that won't let you utilize it's inherent range.

All this is to say, the rifle, it's cartridge, it's scope and it's bases and rings are all part of a package. And each part must complement the other.

Now on to canted bases. Any decent scope maker will now tell you the total elevation travel in the scope specifications. Those numbers are expressed in MOA or MILS.

Any Scope that has a Elevation travel of less than 50 MOA (14 Mils) gets a 0 MOA Base
Any Scope that has a Elevation travel of Less than 70 MOA (20 MILS) gets a 10 MOA Base (3 Mils)
Any Scope that has a Elevation travel of Less than 85 MOA (24 MILS) gets a 20 MOA Base (6 Mils)
Any Scope that has a Elevation travel of Less than 100 MOA (29 MILS) gets a 30 MOA Base (9 Mils)
Any Scope that has a Elevation travel of greater than 110 MOA (32 Mils) get a 40 MOA Base (12 MILS) or more.

I use rounded numbers in the above. And yes there are exceptions, and special purpose applications where deviating is necessary, but generally unless you know what your doing, the above works well and will not get you into trouble.

Some of the dumbest fhuqking schit I've ever seen. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Someone who "knows" and "does" as "much" as you,will always be best served by asking questions,rather than giving "answers". Hint.

Glass with the least erector travel,needs the most help.

Bless your heart for trying though.

Hint.

Laughing!.........................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."