Before you go all nutz on pointy vs RN/FN you might just want to take a look at some ballistics data for velos in the 30-30 range and see just what LITTLE you actually gain going to the "Pointy' ones. Check the drop figures, the end yardage figures and the end energy numbers...something that HARDLY ANYONE ever does, most just look at the velo figures and think that means something.

I've been playing with the 30-30 for 60 odd years and other 30 cal single shot and bolt guns. I usually used pointy bullets in my 30-30 just because I had more on hand for the larger cased cartridges and got "lazy" and didn't want a bunch of extra bullets on hand, but when RN/FN's were on sale or I could trade for a few I never turned those down. I loaded my fathers Rem 788 308 down to 30-30 velos and used 100 - 130 gr RN bullets because he had medical problems and couldn't handle the recoil of a full house 150 gr 308...He NEVER lost ANY game with those loads. I also built him a 250 AI Savage on a Rem 788 action, OEM 22-250, and used 60 gr RN's way back when and later 70 and 75 gr RN and SP's.

Keeping within the "normal" 150-200 yardage for a 30-30 and staying closer to the <150 yd number and you won't have ANY problems gathering in your dinner...IF YOU CAN SHOOT AND YOUR AMMO/RIFLE IS ACCURATE.

But Hey nothing wrong with trying new nose forms, you might just hit the magic combo and have a bugholer..it happens all the time.

Good Luck