Probably not as exciting as debating the merits of a #7 Shad Rap vrs. a #9, but a heck of a lot more important in the long run. Like most of you, I know about sun screen and SPF ratings and how often we are supposed to slather the stuff on when we are out on the water, but how many of us actually do that? I grew up tanning and getting burned even before they invented the broad spectrum sun screens. Even now after years of charter fishing and Canadian walleye fishing with a tube of sun screen in my pocket, I'd dab on a little first thing in the morning and get so caught up catching fish that the sun protection was about the last thing on my mind. I'm paying the price now and paying the dermatologist. A guy with a scalpel does get your attention and its going to leave a mark. Don't do that to yourself.

Being here in Florida I see these guys really know how to cover up. A baseball cap doesn't cut it. You need one of those dorkish big brimmed jobs even with the neck covers. I bought a Simms Solarflex full face mask and Fish Monkey half finger fishing gloves to protect the backs of my hands. Long sleeves and long pants might be hotter than shorts and a tee shirt, but it will keep you out of the doctor's office. My mirrored, polarized sun glasses worked well for the glare, but they directed a lot of reflected sun back down on to my cheek bones. I might be a whole lot less photogenic covered up like I'll be, but keeping precancerous spots from turning into melanoma should be the goal of us all.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory