Interesting phenomenon I’m trying to work out. Been shooting a lot of 38 special lately. Standby load is the 358429 at about 10bhn, sized .357 and lubed with RCBS green, on top of 5gr of Unique. Bullets are filled out fine and I haven’t been able to find any odd weights indicating casting flaws. No leading after a couple hundred rounds leads me to believe bullet fit is pretty good.

Shooting them last weekend out of my 6.5” 38/44, 6 shot groups at 30 yards had no problem staying on a 3” plate from sitting. When I’d shoot at 75 yards from the same position with the same sight picture I’d get 3 or 4 out of a cylinder on the 8” gong and have a couple that would be wide of the target by up to 2 feet! Thinking it was me I proceeded to put 10 out of 12 on the same gong from my Single Six and all but one of an 8 round magazine from my 1911 .45. I shot 100 rounds of that load and it was always the same, not even near enough misses for me to suspect my shooting.

I know Keith talked about some cast bullets becoming unstable as the range increased with unpredictable wide flyers. But of course this doesn’t happen with his bullet designs! I’ve tried different hardness and slower as well as faster loads with no change. I have a RCBS 38-150KT mold coming and I’ll give it a go as soon as it shows up.
Anybody have any bright ideas?