[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I've had a rough time closing the deal this season. Chased several and came close many times. Had the biggest bird I've ever seen at 30-35 yards but couldn't get a clear shot.

Worked this one into around 70 yards. He hung up there and gobbled about ever 10 minutes. I was careful to not over call. Things got weird when I started hearing the loud deep yelp of a tom. Soon it was followed by what I thought was a jake gobble at first. Then multiple gobbles and double gobbles cranked up. They wouldn't commit. Slipped my copper Yingling pot call out and worked up to some serious cutting/yelping series. This little call will flat out scream and has a sweet pronounced high end breaking into each low note with ease.
The woods went quiet for a second and I was afraid I screwed up then saw the first white head slipping in. He was followed by four other strutters. They broke strut only to jump at each other and occasionally really lay into each other. It was cool to watch and hear them literally knock the breath out of each other mid gobble a couple of times.
At around 40 I put the call down and slid my safety off. The only time I had a clean sight picture was once but I'm sure I would have taken out at least two if I would have pulled the trigger. All started working back away from me and my stomach got that sinking feeling. Made a few soft clucks on a Hooks mouth call and the bird at the back turned and ran back towards me. I stopped him at the first clear opening and touched off the little 20ga. 1 1/2oz of TSS almost took his head off.

I'll be back there next weekend!!

Last edited by SFCSNOW; 04/08/19.