Originally Posted by AndySpencer
Got a fall bear hunt in south central Alaska and Im wanting to shoot some birds after I (hopefully) get my sons their first bears.

If anyone can guide me on bird gun choice and any good reference material for how to find them. Ive heard an.22 is good, but Im more use to shotguns for birds. But Im a total newbie to hunting these birds.

Thanks in advance.

It depends on what you want to get from shooting the birds. If it is about making a neat little stack of bodies a 22 is tough to beat. If you actually want to shoot them flying the shotgun is your only real choice.

A Contender with a 45Colt barrel with a screw-in tube shooting 410 shells is compact and the shells are fairly light.

Hunting European red grouse is reverred around the world yet most seem to make snide cracks about them here. I have not shot one sitting in years. In addition to the red grouse, which is actually our willow ptarmigan, we have rock and white-tailed ptarmigan. I might be misremembering, but this may be the only place where you can hunt all three.

They have an interesting call and after flushing they regroup. Bring a chucker call with you and tap it fairly fast with the finger tips and birds will call to let you know where they are.

They will tend to be in the blueberry patches at or above tree line... right where the bears will be hanging in the fall.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.