It is very simple to do. I never got to the point of building rods to sell. But the volume I was doing for myself and friends approached commercial builder for awhile. Anyways you can easily find a preshaped handle. No need to buy rings and glue up and shape. Once you have your handle you will need a reamer paste or gel type epoxy and some mesh dry wall tape.

Remove the old grip carefully. Some residue left on the blank is not a problem. Then fit the handle from the rear. No need to remove guides this way. Go slow reaming and test fitting. Try and get it to fit so the butt of the grip is tight. From the butt forward the grip is going to fit sloppy. Depending on the length of the grip I would do anywhere from three to six bushings of drywall tape, about every two to three inches. Really depends how much build up is needed thicker the bushings need to be the more I use. Next epoxy the grip on. Done.

You can get all the supplies you need from Mudhole. They are the biggest rod supply outfit nowadays.

All that said I would be willing to do it. Just keep in mind it ain't cheap to ship a rod twice especially if it is one piece. Might try finding someone local, you can search for builders by state here.

rodbuilders