Originally Posted by RiverRider
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

The original military load for the M193 was very hot, either 28 or 28.5gr of WC844 (aka H335)

YIKES! That would definitely be a hot load. I wonder what the thinking was behind that. Can you provide a link or reference for that info? I'd like to add it to my files if possible.

I wish I had bookmarked all the documents I found and looked at...I did download them, but I don't know how I'd make them available to any interested.

MIL-C-63989C (AR) AMENDMENT 4, 30 January 2001 shows the following change to the previous amendment pertaining to M193:

"3.7 Chamber pressure. The average chamber pressure of the sample cartridges, conditioned at 70 degrees plus or minus 2 degrees F, shall not exceed 58,700 psi. Neither the chamber pressure of an individual sample test cartridge nor the average chamber pressure plus three standard deviations of chamber pressure shall not exceed 64,700 psi."

MIL-C-70460A (AR) AMENDMENT 2, 15 October 1999 shows an almost identical revision for the M855 round.

That is the highest average chamber pressure figure I have ever located in any American military document. I'm not saying there ISN'T a pressure revision document, but if there is I am not aware of it. If it exists, I'd like a copy of it.

TM 43-0001-27
ARMY AMMUNITION DATA SHEETS
SMALL CALIBER AMMUNITION
FSC 1305

Chapter 10, page 3.

http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/MILITARY/united_states_army_tm_43-0001-27%20-%2029_april_1994.pdf

Yea, it's hot.

I've loaded 28.5gr of Mil Surpluss WC844 behind 50-55gr bullets before.
In a 5.56 change pressures are fine with Noslers BT, CC etc, not so much with Hornady Vmax....

And don't accidentally drop one into a semi-auto .223 chamber, unless you like picking primers out of your trigger group.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell