fremont,

I ended up with hex-head screws on a couple of Mauser actions some years ago, but got rid of them in favor of old-fashioned slot-head screws because I was traveling to hunt a lot back then. I started using a take-down rifle case because it was so much handier in many situations, from airports to vehicles, and simply took my bolt-action rifles out of their stocks, then put them back together again upon arrival wherever I was hunting.

I found it a LOT easier (and less stressful) to use slot-head screws than hex-head screws, partly because some sort of standard screwdriver is always available anywhere around the world. But I also always carry a Swiss Army knife, and ground the screwdriver blade to fit the slots in Mauser action screws, along with putting a switch-tip screwdriver in my gun case, with a hollow handle and the appropriate tips for stock or scope-mount screws.

In fact I even switched some of my non-Mauser rifles to slot-head screws for the same reason, such as my NULA .30-06. But I often preferred to travel with Mauser-based rifles, because of their one-piece magazine/trigger guard assembly. I would screw it back on the action after taking the stock off, because it did a great job of protecting the trigger assembly, and also made sure the action screws weren't misplaced.

I'm not as concerned about hex-head action screws these days, because I don't fly with my rifles nearly as much. But I don't see any advantage in hex-head screws partly because after considerable experimenting I never could find any difference in how well my rifles shot with their action screws tightened by a torque wrench, versus just tightening them by hand. And that includes several super-accurate rifles like that NULA .30-06.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck