Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by las
Originally Posted by bfrshooter
I don't know the Tang and if it has the angled bedding system. You might break off more then you can chew. Another problem is the upper tang on the receiver, It needs clearance or a rod bedded into the wrist or the wrist will crack.

Yes, tangs have the angled front bedding. I never had a problem with the angled front screw bedding in properly using bedding compound. Inletting into the wood only I have not tried- and won't. All my rifles of every flavor have been bedded using bedding compound. Much less work with equal or superior fit.

ALL receiver screws on all makes and models need clearance for the reason stated. I cannot recall ever encountering a stock Ruger that came from the factory without screw clearance, and the point is certainly valid. Weatherby on the other hand was terrible about this - at least when they first moved operations to Japan. 3 shots would crack the wrist. I fixed a bunch before and after the wrist cracked. Mostly after.

Be sure to bed the receiver in flat. Rugers, and most other brands, usually are not - hence the reason for bedding compound. And torque wrenches, apparently. Flat largely eliminates any need to torque screws, at least on a hunting rifle.

I have two tangs currently and until I die. Never should have sold the 77V...... or I'd have 3. smile

I have inletted more than a few of the angled front action screws and despise them for it. I have a V in 243 and an R in 300WM that I used as a back-up rifle for years. Both are and will stay in their factory wood stocks. The V shoots extremely well and the 300 is more than good enough.

Yes, a pain but the system works. Ruger had after market barrels for a time and then made their own so it got better.