[quote=jambuster]Been using 22 mags since 1976 for hunting small game . At that time i used my dads Anshultz.. Back in 1991 i got interested in hunting coyotes and in Tennessee you can't use centerfires during bow season so i bought a Marlin 25MN in 22 Mag. I put a Tasco 4x on it and "Wammo" i had a coyote gun. I did pretty good and ultimatly bought a BRNO ZKM611 22 mag auto. In 2007 I picked up a Cz552 Varmint and last year i bought a Ruger American Predator. I have settled on the Federal 50 grain load as the best for me but i have had good success with the Winchester 40 Hp. I haven't tried some of the newer loads but i will get around to it. I read threads about huntin yotes with the 22 mag all the time and it usually causes a lot of emotional responses. I think they work well if you hunt ethically and know your gun.

I sure agree the HP's work well on coyotes. I try to not shoot much past 125 yards with one though. A .22 WMR is my woods bumming gun. I use solids on grouse and hares. I carry snake shot too.

I sight in 1" high at 100 yards and it works well to 125 yards or so. In more open country I go to a .223/.243.

I started using the .22 WMR in the 70's. A .22 WMR over 20 gauge Savage 24 and a Single Six for starters. I later got a 1979 Marlin 783 I use quite a bit. It likes the Winchester Super X loads in 40 grain HP and solids. I have another rifle and two more pistols in .22 WMR so I must like it.