Originally Posted by oldgunsmith
A couple of years ago, I saw a trap that hanco had made, he was definitely getting results !! So I took his advice and built a corral trap. This photo should explain it all ....

When the deer start dropping fawns, I wire the trigger back and leave the gate where the hogs have to push to get into it. You can't argue with results, and we don't separate any does from fawns this way.

Man, you are getting right with it, aren't you?

The "russian boars" are not taking over the breeding, but domestic animals will revert back to "type" in relatively few generations, looking just like their wild ancestors. The domestic traits are negatives in a wild environment, and will breed out relatively quickly.

As far as controlling hogs, perhaps we can take a look at how the Euro's do things. Let's begin with agreeing there's a bit of water in the Netherlands where I grew up? Still, hogs are controlled successfully by hunters - they have to because the hunting lease contracts state that the hunter is responsible for the damage done by hogs.

Control (not eradication, but control) is achieved by making a specific hunter or "club" of hunters that leases a tract responsible for any wildlife damage, The hogs are shot from blinds, spotlighted at night, or through substantial drives that funnel the hogs into shooting lanes. Being part of the "drive" is a community thing, and there are many more drivers than hunters. Dogs are basically unheard of, other than in tracking dogs to retrieve "shot sick" animals. Drives typically take place in patterns that have been set for generations and have been proven to move the hogs in a way that puts them in the shooting lanes. The same hunters, or more usually "clubs", lease the same tracts for decades, so hunters have in depth knowledge of the terrain and wildlife. Leases come with pretty strict responsibilities as far as controlling vermin and wildlife damage of all kinds. Typically you'll see between 10 and 15 "guns" on a drive, several dozen drivers, and a few dog men for recovery. Afterwards, everyone goes to the local tavern, where food, drink and song are in abundance and a good time is had by all for the rest of the day.

Sic Semper Tyrannis