Originally Posted by RevMike
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Have yet to understand why any cartridge thread on the Campfire results in such adamant anti-opinions of various cartridges.

My initial attraction to the 7x57 is purely nostalgic: not from the writings of Bell or Corbett or O'Connor, but from my Uncle Lewis who built a couple of 8x57 and 7x57 sporters out of military M98 actions. After briefly toying with a .260, I picked up my first 7x57 and have stuck with the cartridge for primarily that reason. I'm also into simplicity since my feeble brain is easily confused, and figure that having seven 7x57s (my wife says, "One for every day of the week") gives me a little variety, but also minimizes the need for a variety of reloading equipment, not to mention keeping the mixing up of components a lot less likely. If I started over I don't know if I'd change anything, although reloading for a 7-08 or .280 might make life even easier...albeit with a bit less panache. wink

You may be onto something there, Rev.

The old 7x57 sure has the panache and history to make it a true classic. And, it is a great round.

But, strictly from a ballistic point of view, cartridge efficiency, uniform chamberings, etc. etc. the 7-08 advocates make a compelling argument.

I've had both, still have the 7-08. To me, a lot depends on the individual rifle. Never had a .280, although it's a good one.

DF