Originally Posted by SargeMO
I picked up a 1937 Brazilian contract S&W yesterday, for about what a new Glock would cost you at BassPro, including tax. For those unfamiliar with 'Modelo 37' it was a redux of the 1917 S&W 45 ACP Hand Ejector, pressed into service during WWII until sufficient 1911 autos could be distributed to the troops.

A previous owner had bent the front sight noticeably to the left, causing the old sixgun to print my 45ACP/230 Flat point load three inches high and a good six inches right at 25 yards. I took a 6" drill press vice, a substantial hammer and a mill file along for the first range trip. To correct the POI/POA divergence I padded the top of the vise and with the front sight cranked down hard in its jaws, applied hammer to vise to cold-swage the front sight vertical and increase its height a few thousandths at the same time. I got lucky and stopped at the right moment. Once around the cylinder at 25 yards.

[Linked Image]

I checked the cylinder throats and found the .452" bullets, used in these reloads, would drop right through them. The throats are a consistent .455" and I have a few 255 grain .454" bullets I'm going to try in this old S&W.

I've got one of those Brazilian 1917 S&W .45 ACPs, too.

[Linked Image]