You have to remember the place and era he was in back then if you didn't raise it or hunt or fish your family went hungry. So I think like a lot of our older generations his experience and taken game numbers is beyond what anyone today will ever get even remotely close to. My opnion on his knowledge compared to today's writers there's differences obviously with the technology and bullet and powder changes that have occurred since his era so that's really the modern writers only plus. Elmer Keith,warren Page,Jack O'connor,Charles
Askins, Townsend Whelen,Les Bowman,Al Goerg,Lee jurras,Pete Brown,John Wootters,Bob Milek,Roy Weatherby, Corey Ford,Gary Sitton,Skeeter Skelton,and a few others in my opnion were the real deal they really went out and hunted and shot (saw first hand and knew what worked and what didn't)and were good story tellers that made you want to read there stuff. Jim Carmichael,John Taffin,Jon Sundra,Ross Seyfried,Lane Simpson, Mike venturinio,Dave Scovill,Mark Hampton and John Barsness are really the only modern writers that I would put in this category. Sorry no offense to some of the modern writers but I prefer real hunting and shooting with a good tale told.