Keith1: The question is, what types (grits) and brands of Japanese water stones would allow me to achieve the results I want with my super steel blades more quickly than is required with my Noviculite (Arkansas) stones. I have since learned that the vanadium and tungsten carbides in the super steels are harder than the stones themselves. Therefore, Japanese water stones are not exactly appropriate for sharpening super steel blades. If anything, Japanese water stones could be used to maintain an existing edge. Japanese water stones would work well on more simple steels such as 1095 (high carbon), 440C, 154CM, etc.

michiganroadkill: As I stated, I can re-profile a super steel edge with relative ease using my Norton stones, but these stones are somewhat unrefined and are rather aggressive. I agree that Noviculite stones are not adequate to the task of properly sharpening super steel blades and that it should not take many hours to put a hair-popping edge on a super steel blade. The reason I posted this thread was to determine the type of stones required to give me an excellent edge on super steel blades. The answer seems to be either diamond stones such as the diamond stones from practical sharpening or CBN (cubic boron nitride) stones. Thanks.

MILES58: I will take a look at the Orange Smith’s diamond stone, but I am looking for a diamond stone with a continuous diamond surface, rather than the little circles. I have used diamond stones before and I think the feel is altogether different than Novaculite (Arkansas). I feel that with diamond stones I am not getting a "clean pass" or that the entire blade edge is not making full contact, which I guess is actually the case with all the diamond circles embedded into the plastic base, rather than a full diamond surface. I will consider your suggestion of starting off with a diamond stone and then progressing to higher grit water stones, which sounds like a practical solution to me.

Last edited by High_Noon; 05/18/19.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue