Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
Originally Posted by Ridgegoat
Hey fellas, looking at seriously trying to get a flight service booked for a drop camp caribou hunt for 4 guys for the 2020 season. We want to do a non guided, no camp/meals/ect provided hunt. Just fly us in ahead of a herd and leave us for a week. We are experienced hunters and 2 of the group have done this in AK before. Prior area the 2 guys hunted is no longer offering hunts because of declining herd numbers there.
Any and all help or pointers would be appreciated, i know this question has been asked before.
Also not looking to pay 3 to 4k per person to be flown in and out. Seems a bit ridiculous considering what we want.
You need to start contacting air services soon and get your dates locked in, otherwise you won't get the area you want. Air services book up quick once the draw results are released.

Art, how's the Mulchatna herd doing these days, have they recovered enough to make them a worthwile option?

Not very good. The wolves kill the calves quick. Last I read they were not even up to the low end of the target herd size. That puts them at around a tenth of the population in the glory days. Another example (like last year's Unit 13) of management failing to kill enough caribou to keep them in check.

Damn, was hoping to have a chance to hunt that herd some day. Guess i'll have to stick to the 40-Mile or Malcomb herds.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead