The Garmin 64s is the best bang for the buck and can often be found for $200ish. The Oregon is basically the same unit, but is touch screen with a slightly larger screen. I have one of both that my wife and I use when volunteering for a SAR team. You can spend more, but you're paying for bigger screens, built in cameras, or 2 way radios. They don't do anything as far as a GPS the 64s or Oregon won't do. Both are solid units. Theoretically the 64s should be able to get signals a little better in heavy cover due to the external antenna, but I've used the Oregon in Florida swamps and it did fine. The push button 64s is also theoretically more durable than touch screen. But I've used mine tons over the last 6 years and both are holding up fine.

If you can get by with a phone, you really don't need a GPS. I often use my phone to access google earth in addition to the GPS, but there is so much more a real GPS will do. Finding my way home is the least of my concerns. I lay down tracks and then download them onto Google Earth when I get home to record where I've been and to pinpoint places where may want to return. I've also found likely hunting spots using Google Earth and recorded the GPS coordinates into my GPS to find my way to that exact spot in the dark. Using Google Earth with the GPS will not only help you find your way home, but find the easiest way to get where you're going.

Until you download more detailed maps a GPS is almost useless. There are several sources for free downloads. I've used this to download everything from Texas east to the coast and as far north as North Carolina, Tennessee, Arkanas and Oklahoma. We did a search in Indiana last year and I was able to get that state free too.

https://www.gpsfiledepot.com/

Other places may require you to buy maps. I paid $80 to get Colorado before hunting there last fall. I was unable to find anything free for CO.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.