I loaded a set of rounds using the Federal brass I described above and tested them at the shooting range a few days ago. The new 270 WSM rifle + scope + ammo proved very accurate and I am very pleased with the results.

Here is a picture of loaded rounds:

[Linked Image]

And here is the 100 yard test target:

[Linked Image]

The 6 shots on the top of the target represent my starting loads of 62 grain and 63 grain. (The flyer shot is likely the first shot out of clean cold barrel). After these shots I adjusted the scope and continued firing the 64 grain load (center), 65 grain load (bottom left) and 66 grain load (bottom right). The powder is N560. All groups are practically good but the 64 grain load seems to be the best and had the lowest velocity spread too. This load shoots at around 3000 f/s. My maximum load of 66 grain gave 3150 f/s. These are not maximum velocities that can be achieved by 270 WSM but are quite adequate for hunting.

Has any body else used Barnes 110 grain TTSX in 270 WSM? What are your experiences? I am thinking of trying a faster powder (e.g. N550) next.

-Omid

PS. The federal brass I am using is the heaviest brass among all my calibers!! Each case weighs around 238 grain! For comparison, my RWS 300 WM brass which are much longer weigh around 217 grain confused laugh