Dirtfarmer,

I generally take 4-6 rifles to the range, and MOST of the year do exactly as you describe--lean them muzzle-up with the action open to let the warm air from inside the barrel rise. Since both the ranges I shoot at are covered, with nice rifle racks, this works MOST of the year in Montana.

But it does not work ALL the year. Generally any time from June through mid-October even our days can get pretty warm, and if I am going to get all my testing done without sitting around waiting for barrels to cool in the shade, ice-water cools them down instantly. Since I'm usually testing handloads for articles, I want the barrel temperature to be as consistent as possible. Have yet to see the ice-water do them any harm.

Have also used a couple gas-flow gadgets that cool down barrels, mostly because people send them to me to test. They work, but not nearly as fast as ice-water.

PS--I am not all that worried about barrel life, as plenty of people are making new barrels pretty much constantly. Instead, I want to get my work done in as little time as possible. I am generally alone at the range, not there to relax and BS with buddies.

Last edited by Mule Deer; 05/24/19. Reason: postscript

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck