Originally Posted by Nebraska
We have a 16'x20' cedar deck that's ready for replacement. I'm less than impressed with how the cedar held up and want to stick with wood to keep the cost down so I'm leaning towards switching to pressure treated lumber this time. If anyone has experience with both I'd like to hear your thoughts on which one you preferred and why.....thank you!

Why were you less than impressed with cedar? Cedar is on of the best natural wood materials there is for a deck. The mistake that so many folks make with cedar is, they try to stain and or coat it to make it look like furniture... Cedar - presuming it is actual cedar - is not meant to be stained or sealed for outdoor use - ever see anyone stain and seal a cedar split-rail fence? The best thing anyone can do with cedar is install it with coated nails (screws are obviously better), and just let it turn the beautiful silver-gray color it does naturally.

I think it is a beautiful deck material that should easily last a lifetime. If you want a deck with a stained finish on it, the price just goes up exponentially, an the work never ends.

Just my 2-cents.

[EDIT] If price isn't an issue then a man-made material can be a good choice.

Like Sam Houston, I will vote for what is best for ME in 2020.
Texans read their Bibles to find what they want it to say, and are blind to what it actually says...