Originally Posted by Filaman
Back in 1966 I bought a Model 70 push feed. I was all into things shiny back then. Anyway, the sporting goods store where I bought it mounted the scope, a Redfield 4X. They mounted it in Weaver mounts. About twenty years later I belonged to a local gun club that had a number of bench rest shooters as members. I was out at the range one day shooting it and I commented to one of the bench rest boys about maybe changing my mounting system because I thought they looked cheap and unattractive. He stopped me and picked up one of his bench guns and sure as hell there sat atop it a pair of Weaver rings and bases. He said they may not look like a cadillac but they work like a Rolls Royce. He said there was no stronger or more reliable mount. They were simple but dependable. I left them on that rifle. I've still got that rifle and it is my go to hunter to this day. And it still has Weaver rings and bases on it, although they are a more modern ring and the base is now a Weaver rail. I have three rifles with rail bases and Weaver style rings. They aren't the only thing going but they work well and better than most for less money.

+1