I bought a Remington 798 (Mauser action) in 375 H&H several years ago from a gentleman in Washington. It was in excellent condition and he had used it for elk and bear. Killed several with this rifle before selling it to me. He used Nosler bullets.
So yesterday I went to Whitaker’s to buy up some 375 bullets to reload. To my amazement they had zero Nosler or Barnes or Hornady. All they had was the Sierra Spitzer BT 300 grains.
So I bought a box and went home and loaded up 20 rounds that are in the 2450-2500 FPS range.
I have yet to mount a scope so I shot it from 20 -75yds with iron sights.
Wow what a pleasant shooting rifle. Recoil was mild and it shot everything I aimed at.
So I would like to create a conversation for shooting a 375 out to say 600 yards with a dial up scope.
First has anyone done this? If so what was the bullet, FPS and scope you used? What eye relief would one need to use?
I’m thinking this could be a dandy elk rifle for timber or shooting across drainages.
I did a little research on the Sierra 300 grain Spitzer Gameking bullet and it appears to be a decent bullet.
What your thoughts or experience on the 375 H&H for shooting mid range?
Thanks