I agree that JB's writings are the best out there these days on the hunting side. I have several of his books, and read his comments closely here. Like many on this board, I too became of age with O'Connor, Keith, Wooters, Milek, Aagard, and others. And on the fishing side the likes of Homer Circle, Charles Ritz and Ed Bauer. I actually have an old reel that Charles Ritz used to own: an Alcedo Micron, I acquired in the late 70's.

I actually think he is a more "complete" writer than some of his predecessors. He combines the technical (which by a happy coincidence of timing has accelerated over the last 50 years, since the earlier generation of greats held court) without falling into geekery (albeit, loonyism driven by passion and experience), with mature observation set and humor (an example is his palate surrounding the .338 as a "medium medium", like 3/4 ton pickups).

In so doing he avoids the emotion traps of others in the past (bombast over fact): yet obviously loves what he does and his writing shows it.

My .02

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough