Hate to bust anyone's bubble, but REAL barbeque ain't cooked on grills that you can buy at Walmart or Home Depot. Nor is it smoked with pellets, shavings, or pressed wood brisquettes......and it's not cooked using propane or electricity. Also, it's mostly a south of the Mason-Dixon line thing...........sorry Yankees.

It is cooked on a pit, over a bed of hardwood coals, low and slow, usually by old men who've been doing it for so long that they could do it blindfolded. Here in my part of the world, in the western part of Kentucky, just north of the Tennessee line, that means pork shoulders, cooked for about 16 hours, and the served pulled. Very little seasoning goes on the shoulders to begin with, usually they are mopped with a sauce while they're cooked, and served sauce on the side. Most places also cook chickens and ribs. I do like brisket, but that's a Texas innovation, and was not originally cooked here.

Some places also cook mutton, and I like good mutton, but I have found few places that really know how to do it right.